Better late than Never

Okay, I had my son almost 6 months ago and am only now writing out his birth story...yes, I am a slacker.

Enjoy!

----

Edith was a week early so I figured Frank would be early too, but I was very wrong. Frank’s due date came and went and not much was happening. I would get contractions here or there, but nothing that would stay. I tired walking, shoveling snow and all the other things they tell you to try to get the baby to come out, but Frank was taking his sweet time. Finally, on the day before I turned 42 weeks, we spent the day at Colonial Williamsburg. We walked around for a good six or seven hours and by the end of the day, I could feel the contractions coming a little stronger. I went to bed thinking Frank was probably going to be coming in the next few days.

I woke up at exactly 8am with a very hard contraction and they continued to come every 20 mins or so. I was still thinking they might just be a false alarm so I went about my morning. By noon, they were coming between 6-9 mins apart and with enough force that I needed to stop and let them pass. I called the midwife and let her know, but I was still thinking it he wasn’t going to come until the evening or later. The midwife said she was going to come to the house and she arrived around 2pm, we ate lunch and then I went to our bedroom since the contractions were starting to come more often and much harder.

While I was on all fours dealing with the contractions coming and going, my 1.5 old daughter would bring me water, pretending to time contractions and writing things down.



It was actually quite cute, but the pain was getting harder and I wanted her out of the room since I really needed to concentrate.

At around 3pm, I went into the shower since the hot water made the contractions a little more bearable. I remember by husband giving me things to drink and making sure the water was hot enough and so forth. At some point, I started to feel the desire to push and recall the midwife telling me unless I wanted to have the baby in the shower I should get out and walk over to the bed. I didn’t want that so I walked over to the bed and got down on one knee. Then I started to push.

I pushed once and it hurt like hell. For some reason it seemed to hurt so much more than with Edith. I then recall my husband and the midwifes saying I was doing fine and I was almost done. I pushed again and heard Frank cry. One final push and he was completely out. It was 3:45pm.

They placed him in my arms and he was perfect with a full head of black hair. Hubby and I talked to him and were amazed at how God had blessed us with this wonderful little boy.
I told Hubby to let my mom (who came from CA to help with Edith and be an all around HUGE help) and Edith come in to see the baby. Edith was a little on the hesitant side and it would take a couple of weeks for her to get use to the baby.

Here are my two midwifes and birth assistant. They all did an awesome job and made this homebirth less stressful than Edith's birth. If you didn't know...the midwife for Edith's homebirth didn't show up until 20 mins AFTER Edith came out and my husband had to catch her.

Here is my little boy, Frank, a few days short of being 6 months old. I can't believe that he will be a big brother in only 21 or so more weeks.

3 comments

  1. I cried. What a beautiful story. And I've never seens such a beautiful woman as when I saw the picture of you with Frank right after his birth. You are an inspiration to mothers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! That is very sweet of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Elena, do you mind if I post the birth stories on RoL mama's section?

    ReplyDelete