10 Ways to be a Better Wife

Happy Valentine's Day! If you are dating then I am sure there will be flowers, boxes of chocolate and fancy dinners coming your way. If you are married with kids then your day might look something like this...


Haha...husbands you got to love them!

All kidding aside, I thought I would list the top ten things I learned about being a wife in no particular order. Trust me I am sure there is a lot more to know about marriage as I have only been at it for five years, but hopefully this list will help someone. 

1. You have to work on your marriage.

Like all good things, a happy marriage doesn't happen on its own. You have to work at it. Which brings me to my next point...

2. Date your husband.

It doesn't have to be fancy and you don't even have to leave the house just make it a point to do something without the kids and you focus on each other. With all the busyness of kids, work etc we can easily let this one slide, but it is important to be able to have one on one time with your husband. Also, send him a sweet note every once in awhile or make him his favorite meal. All those sweet things you did for him before you were married should still be done now.

Date nights are a must. 
3. Your husband is more important than your kids.

Kids only thrive in a family where a husband and wife truly love each other and make every effort to make sure that love grows.

A happy marriage means happy kids. 
4. Love isn't a feeling, but a choice.

There are going to be times when loving your husband is hard, but you always have to make that choice to love him. No matter what comes up. It may be something big or just a million little things. The warm fuzzy feeling may not always be there, but the love that will weather any storm will be.

The honeymoon period may pass, but the love must always stay. 
5. Look nice for your husband.

Now I know some woman will disagree with me on this one, but admit it...when you were dating your husband you made the effort to look nice when you saw him. Just because he married you doesn't mean he deserves to have a wife that always looks like she just got out of bed. Do your hair, put on some makeup and wear an outfit his likes. Yes, it is hard when you have little ones to worry about your appearance, but even taking a minute to change out of the spit-up stained shirt before he gets home from work will let your husband know that you thought about him while he was gone.

Let your husband act a like a kid sometimes. It is good for him. 
6. Don't fight with or yell at your husband in front of others or your kids.

I cringe whenever I have been in front of a wife who belittles or yells at her husband in front of me. I can only imagine what the wife would do if the shoe was on the other foot. That is not to say you have to pretend your husband is perfect in everywhere, but in front of people isn't the proper time to lecture him.

Your daughters will look towards your husband to see how a man should treat a woman so marry someone you wouldn't mind your daughter marrying. 
7. Don't complain about your husband to your friends, family members or kids.

It isn't fair to him and something tells me you wouldn't be too happy to find out if he did the same thing about you. This isn't to say you have to bottle everything up. Moxie Wife has a good post here about finding a good friend to confide in.

Your sons will learn how to treat a woman by watching  your husband so marry someone  you would want your son to imitate. 
8. Don't go to bed angry.

I will admit I haven't always followed this rule and it got to the point, I actually didn't remember why I was angry with him in the first place. It was a lot of wasted time and did nothing but breed hurt feelings. If you have an issue with your husband bring it up with him and settle it.

A good husband will make an awesome dad. 
9. Don't compare what you do and what he does.

Marriage isn't 50/50 like people tell you, but it is 100/100. You need to do your best and not worry about anything else. 
Let your husband have his toys and his own hobbies. 

10. Pray for your husband.

Husbands have a hard job. They are the spiritual head of the family and he has all the pressure of providing for the family. There are also a million temptations out in the world that he needs to defeat. He needs all the prayers you can spare.
--------
There you have it my tips for being a better wife and in turn having a great marriage. Please don't assume that I follow my own advice all the time. I fail many times and am only thankful for a very forgiving husband.

Now close the electronic device you are reading this from and go give your husband a hug and smooch.

What are your best marriage tips?

2 comments

  1. Okay, I seriously love this. My favorite line? It's not 50/50 but 100/100. So true! All of these are excellent. I'm sharing this one on RoL. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, bobbi!! Now if I could just follow my own advice all the time..haha!

      Delete