How We Met

Everyone loves a good how we met story and Grace is awesome enough to start a link-up so head over there and read until your heart is content or until the kids make the house a mess from neglect.

------------

It is funny how you plan your life out and then God laughs and plays along with you for awhile until you start to realize that maybe God has a better plan for you and you need to start listening.

First, my plan was to be a nun…a cloistered Carmelite nun. I had visions of a simple life with my fellow nuns. Praying, reading, meditating on heavenly things and enjoying a perpetual silence. Ahhh…sweet, sweet silence. There is nothing more heavenly sounding to an introvert than constant silence. However, I realized that God wasn’t calling me to that life.

Slightly disappointed, I accepted the fact that God had other plans for me.

Second, my plan was to marry some guy soon after college. Clearly, going to a Catholic college would open the doors to finding my soul mate. Nope. There was no one there I wanted to date let alone marry.

So with degree in hand and again slightly disappointed, I accepted the fact that God had other plans for me.

Third, my plan was to marry some guy that I would meet through the Catholic non-profit I was working for after graduating. Months turned into years and I pretty much gave up any hope of finding a guy and figured I should just start getting used to go to the movies by myself because that was my future.


Slightly disappointed, I accepted the fact that God had other plans for me.

Ash Wednesday 2005, I returned from Mass where I prayed “God, I give up trying to plan my life. You do it. Open the doors that need to be opened.” I imagine God saying “Finally!”

That day I received an email from someone on ConservativeMatch.com (At the time, I actually forgot I was a member on that site. I joined in the hopes of finding my sister her future husband that didn’t work either.) He didn’t have a picture up, but he did sound like a nice guy and we had things in common so I emailed him back. I wasn’t putting too much into it though. I was still certain I was destined for spinsterhood.

We emailed/IMed back and forth for around 2 weeks and then he asked if I wanted to meet him in person. Sure why not…he will probably turn out to be some freak and I won’t waste anymore of my time. Yes, I can be negative and slightly dramatic. We set the date for President’s Day since we both had the day off.

I lived in MD and used the metro for transportation, he lived in No. VA and had a car so we plan to meet at the Vienna metro stop and he would drive us around. We must have walked right past each other because after around 5 minutes we were both at the metro, but couldn’t find each other. Finally, he spotted me and came over. Besides me being extremely nervous I was also relived that he looked like his picture and didn’t seem like he was some serial killer.

While he was cute, I was laughing inside on his fashion sense or his lack of fashion sense. He was wearing slightly dated jeans, his brother’s old sneakers (he pointed that out during lunch) and a sweater that looked like it came out of Bill Cosby’s closet. And if you are wondering, yes, I still have that sweater he was wearing.

We went over the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Aviation Museum and looked around. I will admit I only pretended to read placards because I was super nervous and couldn’t think of anything to say. After spending a couple hours there we went to lunch at Red Robin and then went mini-golfing. He won. He dropped me off at the metro and it seemed liked he had a good time, but he was a little hard to read. We said our goodbyes and I promptly called my sister and recalled all the details.

On the third date, we went walking around DC and out to dinner. I remember walking around the Smithsonian Museums and he grabbed my hand to hold it. I had slight butterflies in my stomach.


Weeks turned into months and we were still dating. He was cute, funny, slightly awkward (just like me) and he had become my best friend. I looked forward to his emails and our dates. I had fallen for him.


We talked about anything and everything. The type of wedding we wanted, how many kids we would have, how I would be a stay-at-home mom, and how we would sit on our porch when we are old and shake our fist at the young people driving too fast. There was nothing I wanted more than to grow old with him.


Memorial Day 2007…he asked me to marry him and I said YES!


I am sorry to not give details about the actual proposal, but Hubby wants to keep some things between us and not tell the whole world. I will say that I was TOTALLY surprised and that is big since I am not easily surprised and normally find things out before they happen. Also, I was beyond happy. I am pretty sure I had a smile on my face for a good 2 days after that.

We wanted a short engagement and waited the 6 months the church requires and set the date for December 15, 2007.

I happily accepted the fact that this was God’s plan for me.

December 15th I walked down the isle with my father on my arm and looking at the face of the man I would spend the rest of my life with…for better for worse, in sickness and in health, until death do us part.




After Communion as we knelt there in the presence of Christ, I grabbed his hand and the peace that comes with doing the will of God was there. It wasn’t until I let go of all my plans and let God take over did things start falling into place.


However, there was one more plan that I had that God needed me to let go of. My plan was to have three or four kids neatly spaced out two to three years apart. God laughed as He taught me to trust him and let my plan go.

God’s plan…five kids in the almost 6 years of being married.


I happily accept the fact that this is God’s plan for me.

----

You can check out our wedding here.

You can check out our honeymoon here.

And finally you can check out all the kid’s (well, not Ike’s) birth stories here.

6 comments

  1. Love this. I had no idea you wanted to be a Carmelite once! (...though yeah, I could totally see that. Heh.) Also, I had to laugh at your "find a husband at the Catholic non-profit" comment; what, Dan the Intern just didn't cut it for you? ;)

    You and Vinnie are pretty absurdly perfect for each other. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, I forgot about Dan! I remember the time Deal gave him a hard time because he wore ankle sports socks with his khakis.

      Delete
  2. Just discovered your blog...your family is adorable..I will look forward to following your story!!! Love the little ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Ohmygosh, I am laughing out loud and tearing up at the same time. This is so beautiful and so "you." As your sister I wondered what kind of man would finally grab your heart and Vinnie is so perfectly suited for you that it could only have been ordained by God. LOL. (Mom says the same thing about me and Brian. As if we were hard to match up with the right fella. ;-)) I love it and you guys! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It really is funny how our husbands are perfect matches for us. Now BC will have to add her little love story to the mix. I can hardly wait to meet her SuperMan.

      Delete