Why I Homeschool

Schooling is one of those topics that everyone has an opinion on…private, public or homeschooling. I personally think this is a topic that each family has to decide what is best for their family and not worry about what other people may think. If something works for your family than that is the best thing for your family.


I have come up with a list of 20 reasons why we decided to homeschool.

1. I decide what is important for my children to learn. I don’t have to worry about them being taught things contrary to our Catholic faith or revisionist history.

2. I have higher academic standards than most public/private schools.

3. The home is a safe moral environment.

4. The children will be constantly guided by our family’s principles.

5. The children will have education woven into their day and they grow up with learning being second nature and not something you dread for 6 hours a day.

6. The school day isn’t full of busyness so actual desk work is quickly finished and the children will have time to purse other interest.

7. The children are able to work at their own pace and not rush over things they need help with or spend more time on something they have mastered quickly.

8. I can tailor the curriculum and teaching style to each child.

9. The children can learn things not normally offered in a public/private school.

10. Our days are flexible.

11. We can schedule field trips during off-peak times so travel is less expensive and the venue less crowded.

12. The children can spend lots of time outdoors either playing or doing their studies.

13. We can take off religious or special family days.

14. I will be able to notice and help a child who is struggling and not have to wait until someone else tells me.

15. The children can focus on things that interest them and not be forced to follow a strict time table of what they must learn.

16. The children are not in constant company of their peers. Something I believe is not helpful or natural. (I am not saying they shouldn’t have friends their own age.)

17. Peer pressure will be reduced and the child will not be forced to grow-up too quickly.

18..They learn how to interact with children younger and older than themselves.  

19. They will have more bonding time with their siblings and thus have better relationships with their siblings.  

20. Finally, I think it my vocation as a parent to teach my own children.

What about you…are your kids homeschooled or do they go to private/public school? How did you come to that decision?


4 comments

  1. I don't have time to write why I have my kids in a Catholic school but homeschooling may be in our future as we have more kids attending. But I enjoyed reading your reasons. And by the way, love the little logo with Edith! is that the name of your homschool?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The advantage of having the kids homeschooled and so close together is that I will be able to have a few kids in the same grade...haha!

      Yes, that is what I named our school since I wanted to get a teachers id made for myself and I can get discounts at various craft stores.

      Delete
  2. Yes, we homeschool. I have 8 children from age 1 up to 24. I love your reasons and agree with them wholeheartedly. It's good to see them written even after I've been at it for so long.

    God pursued me in this regard. Although, like Jonah, I tried for years to run away, God made it perfectly clear that this was His will for our family.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Both my husband and I were homeschool and it was a natural for us to want the same thing for our children so far it has been going great. Have a nice week!

      Delete